Thursday, September 26, 2013

What the hell is fair trade?

We've all heard of it, but what is fair trade? And why does it matter?


As I sit here drinking my tea, I start to feel guilty, but then I read the package that it's "EquaTrade". I buy from Teavana. It's high prices are attributed to being owned by Starbucks, but it really because they pay each "middle man" a fair price. It doesn't hurt that it's a better quality as well, not being pumped with pesticides and chemicals. 

There seems to be this stigma that people who are poor are lazy, but each of these farmers and plantation owners are working harder than I ever will to just keep food on the table, not for themselves, but their children. If they are working so hard, why then can't they keep food on the table? Because of what we buy and where we buy it from. 

Be aware of the effect you have on these families. 

No comments:

Post a Comment