Thursday, November 14, 2013

Risky Business


After reading this chapter you might be questioning whether you should ever get into a car or eat a hamburger ever again.  At least that's what I was thinking.  I do agree with Ulrich Beck that we have become what you could call a "risk society."
 We partake in many activities even though there is a large risk associated with them.
  1. Driving/riding in cars
  2. Swimming in shark infested oceans
  3. Skydiving
  4. Skiing
  5. Eating Hamburgers (mad cow disease sounds terrible)
  6. Mountain Climbing
  The list goes on and on.....

So my question is WHY?  Why do people continue to do things that they know are risky to the point of possible death?  Why in the world do people decide to free climb a mountain with no safety harnesses.  (I get scared just thinking about it.)
 The national risk assessment says that we shouldn't be so foolish as a society.  But is it really foolish to partake in activities that we enjoy?  Would it be more foolish to live a life never having taken risks?  I think so.  Life's only worth living if you take the occasional risk that makes you feel alive.  So are we really a foolish society?  I don't think so..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H46iBP_8Nc  ( I couldn't upload this from youtube, but it's a really interesting ted talk so you should watch it!!)

-Georgia

No comments:

Post a Comment